My default decoration above a mantel is typically a shapely statement mirror, and I’ve hung one in my living room for some time. Over the years I’ve also styled a mantel with art (in winter, summer, and fall), and still I love the large scale vintage art that hangs above my family room fireplace.
Below are eight simple ideas for styling a mantel with artwork just in time for your spring sprucing.
1. Overlap artwork in varied sizes and frame finishes, surround with potted plants.
2. Pair a large piece of black and white art with candlesticks and a vase filled with flowers or ferns.
3. Display one print asymmetrically, and balance it with a grouping of candlesticks (or vases) on the other side.
4. Cluster vases and objects in varied shapes and place a piece of framed art in between.
5. Hang a large piece of art and layer a smaller piece in front. Fill in with decorative objects on both sides such as botanicals, books, and candlesticks.
6. Group a trio of art in three different sizes, the larger two in the back, the smaller layered in between. Surround with decorative objects in pairs or sets of three.
7. Partner matching frames with repeating decorative objects and tall blooming or leafy branches.
8. Keep it simple and sophisticated with a large scale piece of art that fills the wall above the fireplace.
Etsy is a favorite source for artwork, take a peek at these shops that feature abstract artwork, also these black and white favorites. Or if it’s greenery you love for your mantel, check out these leafy botanical prints.