A few months ago I imagined for the window seat project a piped cushion cover with a zipper enclosure. When I finally took the time to tackle this project, I realized I just didn’t have the desire (or maybe the energy?) to make something fancy when something simpler would do just fine.
The only thing I really cared about for this window seat cushion was 1) straight clean seams in the front and 2) a cover that could be removed for washing since this study is a kid space. I settled on a simple knife edge box cushion cover, one without any piping or even a zipper. This one’s stitched in just a few obvious places, and kept together with velcro in the back!
Since I wasn’t doing piping and just a straight edge in the front, I was able to save money by not having to buy extra fabric for the piping (welt cord requires extra fabric cut on the bias so it curves around corners easily).
Instead I bought 3 ½ yards of green outdoor canvas fabric for $9 a yard to cover the length of the window seat and a piece of 24” x 2” foam as long as my window seat to fill the cover. And a package of velcro strip.
Because I settled on a simple edge with no piping, I didn’t bother to cut the length of the fabric in two long strips. I decided to work with the perfect crease that already existed right down the middle from the way the fabric was folded on the bolt. Why cut the fabric in two long strips when I’m just going to sew them back together? What if I just sewed that middle crease to form the first seam? So I did.
And that’s how I achieved the first straight edge for the front of the box cushion.
Next I needed a second straight edge to wrap around the cushion and form the second seam, so I used the foam as my guide and pinned the second point where I would sew the front edge of the box cushion.
I chopped off a piece of the extra foam and used it as a guide, sewing that second straight edge all the way down the length of the cushion with the sewing machine.
It worked! I ended up with two straight seams for that front edge of the cushion.
For the corners, I cut 4” x 26” strips (see diagram) and pinned them to both the top and bottom then sewed all around to form corners.
Instead of a zipper, I used velcro strips and sewed them to the hemmed back of the cushion cover.
It closes up tightly with velcro but removes easily when it needs washed.
Some velcro strips and (lazy) sewing was all it took to get a simple removable box cushion cover for the window seat.
Thankfully, it meets with the minimum requirement for window seat relaxation. :)