Sometimes you just need a second pair of eyes to look at your space and pull it all together.
Kelly is a busy mother of three with a darling home in Washington state. Kelly emailed me some photos of her living and dining room, and asked if I could help her pull the spaces together. Kelly likes beachy colors, and is certainly not afraid of pattern or color. Look what a fantastic job she did with her kids’ room:
But Kelly was out of ideas for the main family spaces.
Here is Kelly’s living room:
Here is Kelly’s dining room:
First, I advised Kelly to refinish her fireplace like the fabulous John and Sherry over at This Young House.
Sherry and John’s fireplace:
Kelly just acquired a neutral rug from Flor for her family room. With no need for an area rug, I put this board together for Kelly to help her to unite the two spaces with a bit of style and some serene but fun color:
The paint color I chose for the family room is ‘Prescott Green’ on the left by Benjamin Moore. It nicely compliments the existing dining room paint which is ‘Nantucket Gray’, pictured right, also by Benjamin Moore.
All of the accessories come from two inexpensive retailers: Overstocks.com and JC Penney, and the sofa table is a Craigslist find.
1) Voile curtains in Balsam, for the two windows next to the fireplace
2) Seafoam coral vase for above the mantle
3) Silver blue coral accent pillow for the chair
4) A sofa table from Craigslist for behind the couch that I think is a total steal
5) Jadestone chenille throw for the sofa, and chilly nights
6) A gorgeous crystal lamp for the sofa table
7) Some lovely dogwood prints to brighten up the family room
8) Kelly is in need of a mud room style entry, so I suggested this tufted bench for storage, and a place to sit to take off shoes.
9) I think these door knob wall hangings are both stylish and functional above the bench in the entry.
10) These shell pillows will add texture and sparkle to Kelly’s sofa.
11) In the dining room, Kelly can dress up her freshly painted windows with these patterned window panels.
12) These leaf candle holders are earthy and elegant wall decor, and add the candlelight that all dining rooms need.
13) These ceramic vases are the perfect textural accent in the perfect set of three for her dining room table, or even her mantle.
My thanks to Kelly for letting me decorate her space !